Tuesday, August 15, 2006

(Letter to editor I wrote to Star-Telegram)

Dear Editor:
As a birth mom who placed my newborn daughter for adoption through Gladney in August 2000, my heart broke for "Keila" in the Aug. 13th Star-Telegram article about the girl whose mom abandoned her as an infant. It baffles me why so many birth moms simply abandon their babies instead of going though the adoptive process. Before my birth daughter, who will be six tomorrow (the 15th) was born I made her a scrapbook and I send her letters, email cards, and gifts so that she will always know that I did what I did BECAUSE I love her. I even get to see her two to three times a year which is a great, unexpected, tremendous gift.
I wouldn't have given my daughter a new life any other way than how I did because I didn't want her to feel unwanted.
I hope if "Keila's" birth mom is out there she'll write her a letter or something so that this child will at least have some questions answered if nothing else.

Terri Rimmer